The International Committee of the American Studies Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the inaugural Shelley Fisher Fishkin Prize for International Scholarship in Transnational American Studies.
Shelley Fisher Fishkin's leadership in creating crossroads for international scholarly collaboration and exchange has transformed the field of American Studies in both theory and practice. This award honors Professor Fishkin’s outstanding dedication to the field by promoting exceptional scholarship that seeks multiple perspectives that enable comprehensive and complex approaches to American Studies, and which produce culturally, socially, and politically significant insights and interpretations relevant to Americanists around the world.
The prize is awarded for excellent publications that present original research in Transnational American Studies (including original interdisciplinary research in Transnational American Studies) and which meet the following criteria:
- are authored by scholars based at institutions located outside the United States or by international independent scholars and
- have been published as monographs, journal articles, book chapters (monographs or edited collections) and
- have been published not earlier than three years prior to the submission deadline.
The prize includes a 3-year membership in the ASA with an electronic subscription to the American Quarterly, a cash prize, and the invitation to reprint (parts of) the respective publication in the Journal of Transnational American Studies (JTAS).* Publications by undergraduate and graduate students are ineligible. Submissions of co- authored work are not accepted.
Applications should include:
- one publication for consideration for the prize (full article; in case of monographs: introduction; contents; and a representative excerpt of no more than 50 pages not exceeding 8 MB)
- a two-page vita, including a selected bibliography
- a one-page abstract for this publication
Please submit your application electronically by 1 October 2019 to Jennifer Reimer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Late submissions will not be accepted.
*reproducible formats only; author needs to obtain publisher’s permission to reprint; author is responsible for all copyright procedures.
Community announcements and events are services that are offered by the ASA to support the organizing efforts of critical constituency groups. They do not reflect the decisions or actions of the association’s governance bodies, the National Council or Executive Committee. Questions should be directed to the committee, caucus, or chapter that has authored and posted this notice.